Wubbalubbadubdub, Looters! Today we are making a vinyl clock inspired by the instantly recognizable “portal” from one of my favorite animated shows, Rick and Morty!
You may have seen these kind of clocks on Etsy and wondered how the heck they are made (I can’t be the only one), and to my surprise it was a fairly easy task that even the most doofus of Ricks can accomplish 😉 Get ready to go on your next DIY adventure!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Vinyl Record
- Power Drill
- Hot Knife
- Quartz Clock Movement Kit – Dials up to 1/4″
- Trace vinyl onto a large piece of paper. I didn’t have paper large enough, so I just taped 4 pieces of regular paper together. Draw out desired shape within vinyl and cut out with scissors.
2. Using a hot knife, carefully cut vinyl into finalized shape. Be sure to do this on a safe surface!
3. Drill! Be gentle as you don’t want to break the vinyl. The hole just needs to be big enough to fit the quartz clock. I used a hand drill which worked just as well 🙂
4. You’re ready to start painting! This is where you’re going to need patience. I went through a good amount of layers of paint to finally get the look that I wanted. A good variety of green shades is highly recommended.
NOTE: You don’t have to draw Rick and Morty for this part.
5. Once you have your main background ready, sprinkle white dots onto the vinyl. You can do this by using a large brush and dabbing it onto a large amount of white paint and tapping the brush with your palm to create a splatter. To assure you get the right consistency, practice on a sheet of newspaper first.
6. Draw Rick and Morty’s silhouette. Paint. (I used dark brown as I felt black was too dark)
7. Once your paint has dried, add quartz clock by following the instructions as stated in the packaging. And that’s it! You’re ready to hangggggg!
Wooo! Wasn’t that easy? Now you’ll have a rickdiculously awesome clock to show off your Rick and Morty love <3
Until next time, Looters!