Mornings are for coffee and contemplation… and for making some STRANGER WAFFLES!
Although El was a big fan of Eggos, you won’t find these waffles in the frozen food section. You can set your toaster oven aside because we’re making these babies from scratch, which makes them eleven times better. Trust us, they’ll be worth the effort and friends don’t lie!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First, you have to find true North! Remember, the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, right?
2. Now that you’ve established where true North is, you can now oil and preheat your waffle maker 😉
3. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
4. In separate bowl, separate egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form. This will take about 5 minutes or so if you’re doing it manually instead of with a hand mixer. Having trouble separating the yolk from the egg whites? Try this neat water bottle trick!
5. Mix together the egg yolks, milk, butter, and vanilla. Stir slightly.
6. Add wet ingredients (excluding the egg whites) to dry ingredients and mix well.
7. Fold in the egg whites. What the heck does that mean? This explains it all!
8. Now here’s how these waffles get stranger! Evenly divide the batter into two separate ziplock bags. Add food coloring to your liking. I used blue, green and a bit of purple to give this recipe an Upside Down feel. Once you have the coloring you desire, cut a small tip off of each bag. You can completely skip this step if you like, the waffles will still taste awesome!
9. Cook in waffle iron! It may take 5-10 minutes to cook depending on the type of waffle maker you have.
Get those waffles ready, because the October 27th Stranger Things season two premiere is almost here!