CAPCOM may have never known how incredibly popular Mega Man would become, but we’re incredibly glad they kept him going strong! We thought we’d gather up some Mega Man facts and prep you for Loot Wear this month! So, let’s dive right in!
1. Mega Man was created after Capcom had lost the rights to the Astro Boy anime series and still wanted to utilize the concepts and work they had for the planned game. So, with some creative work-arounds, they developed Mega Man in its place.
2. Zero was actually meant to stay gone after Mega Man X5 (he had already been dead three times over) but the fan-love was so strong that they brought him back in later titles with some changes to his play design.
3. Mega Man 2 introduced four new game elements to the series. These are E-tanks, a mapped fortress, an 8 robot roster and the very important password feature that helps you get back to the bosses you’ve already defeated or need to.
4. Mega Man’s future, in the first game, is actually our past. The very first Mega Man game on NES takes place in 2008. Man, definitely nothing like that happened in OUR 2008. I think we would’ve remembered that.
5. It was the North American version of Mega Man that introduced a subplot where Dr. Wily was Dr. Light’s past assistant who had turned on Light. It was the Japanese version that left all of that out and just had Dr. Wily being some random fella who wanted to steal and reprogram Dr. Light’s bots. What a jerk!
6. The first Mega Man is the only NES game to keep an actual score.
7. Mega Man’s pup Rush actually appears for the first time in Mega Man 3.
8. The Doc Robots in Mega Man 3 actually have the abilities of the Robot Masters in the second Mega Man. Those Robot Leaders are represented through the Doc Robot.
9. In Mega Man X, Capcom included the fireball technique that Ryu from Street Fighter uses. Oh, we so love those Easter Eggs and the idea of seeing two classic faves winked at through Mega Man is pretty fantastic.
10. Mega Man X4 is actually the first Mega Man game to include a signal to warn the player that a boss fight is approaching. Why so long!? We need to prepare for those bosses!