There is so much happening with September’s Loot Gaming but the stealth in METAL is because of Metal Gear Solid! Konami’s hit franchise has stirred up so many feelings over the past two decades! Let’s get some details into this incredible video game series…
1. It may surprise you to find out that big video games have equally large scripts, but the original script for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was just shy of 800 pages in length. Hideo Kojima, the game’s creator and director, was well known for immensely lengthy scripts and massive storyboards.
2. Harry Gregson-Williams has worked on every single Metal Gear Solid game since the second Sony in the numbered series. Kojima appreciated the fact Gregson-Williams just ‘got it’ and could get into the mood so quickly. It took him all of six weeks to compose all of the music for Metal Gear Solid 2!
3. There were a lot of James Bond references in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater! From Para-Medic discussing one of the films plots to the look of Naked Snake resembling Bond, Kojima wanted to really put the feel within the third game that Snake was multi-faceted and he could sneak around the jungle but he could also get into the classy espionage.
4. If you press a certain button (The PlayStation’s R1 button) during the final cut-scene of Metal Gear Solid 3, you can see Hal aka Otacon in it. Otacon fans squealed when they found that out, let me tell you!
5. It took four years (considered the Anniversary Update) to Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, for Konami to include trophies for PlayStation 3 users. Let me tell you, I ran through this game IMMEDIATELY to get those trophies too! What a way to reinvigorate your title!
6. Kojima was well known for wanting input from all of his staff in regards to the story of each game he worked on and would even give them branded journals, asking them through the course of production, to jot down ideas and concepts to add in. This very reason has been why certain beloved easter eggs and certain gameplay mechanics exist through the series!
7. Fans were confused to find that a new Metal Gear was not unveiled throughout all of Metal Gear Solid 4. The first three titles had a new Metal Gear machine of war but in the fourth, there was none which lead a lot of speculation on if it was truly the final in the series. Kojima knew that this speculation may arise if he didn’t include a Metal Gear and wanted the hype and tease of it all because he had already begun writing the fifth installment and knew what was on the horizon.
8. In the main series, the only recurring character is Revolver Ocelot who has been in Metal Gear Solid 1-5. Is this a spoiler? Possibly but lets just assume it as more of an intrigue!
9. Kojima’s team fought him tooth-and-nail about opening Metal Gear Solid 5 with David Bowie’s Diamond Dogs playing. This was because they thought it was a bit too spot on seeing as how they would come to find their squad in-game being called ‘Diamond Dogs’ and it may have felt too obvious. Kojima made sure his Bowie fan shone through plenty, mind you, as MGSV was a love letter to his favorite musicians, movies and actors!
10. In the past, David Hayter (who originally voiced Solid Snake) stated that Kojima only ever hired him when his Hollywood choices refused to be in the game series. Yet, Kojima denied this and said while he was getting a dream come true in hiring Kiefer Sutherland, it was mostly because Hayter didn’t look like the grizzled and older Snake that they needed for Metal Gear Solid 5. Sorry, David! You’re still too fresh-faced!