For a show that has been a part of culture for so long, it’s hard to believe that is due in fact to Spongebob Squarepants being around for 20 years now! Starting in 1999, this show has 12 seasons and at 20 episodes a piece, there’s a lot of trivia! Let’s get just a Krabby Patty’s worth, shall we?
1. Tom Kenny, the voice of Spongebob, would get that trademark laugh going by bouncing his finger against his throat’s adam’s apple over and over to get the undulations right. There, now go try it yourself!
2. No matter when it happens, where it happens, if you see a lot of insanity happening on screen and chaos occurs, you can expect to hear a fish somewhere wail “MY LEG!” in the background.
3. The Krabby Patty was originally going to be called the Barnacle Burger until Nickelodeon found out that a burger joint had one on the menu already and they wanted to avoid copyright issues. I like Krabby Patty better, personally.
4. Certain items of Spongebob’s in his home change throughout the seasons. This was actually intentional as it was thought it would help kids adapt to change if their favorite cellulose-under-the-sea friend was okay with it.
5. The point of Squidward in the series was to show children that, even if someone is being negative, you don’t have to lower yourself to their behavior and they’re still worth the friendship. Not a bad message, right? Besides, Squidward ends up actually really adoring the incessant friendship of Spongebob and Patrick. How could you not?
6. When you hear the siren of The Krusty Krab, it’s meant to sound similar to the prison siren in The Shawshank Redemption. Why? It’s a subtle reference to the fact Clancy Brown, who plays Mr. Krabs, was also in Shawshank.
7. Speaking of Mr. Krabs, there are lots of questions surrounding who his partner is/was. Mr. Krabs has a daughter Pearl and while it’s assumed she is adopted, due to her being a whale, it’s noted that there IS a Mrs. Krabs in some fashion but she’ll never be revealed. This was to give kids with one parent someone they could relate to in the show. Love that.
8. While most of the seasons have 20 episodes, season ten only has eleven episodes and sources note that it was due to the writer’s strike that year.
9. We almost had a Spongeboy Squarepants, but Nickelodeon found that a product called a ‘Spongeboy‘ existed and thus, we got ourselves a Spongebob aka: Spongerobert.
10. Spongebob states at some point that, the reason he is so obsessed with working at The Krusty Krab, is because his Mother ate one while an unborn Spongebob was in her tummy. His first words, because of that, were ‘Krabby Patty‘ and thus his passions were born.