Since we’ve got Supernatural in this month’s Loot Crate DX, it seemed only fitting that we dive into these two boys and the chaos surrounding those Winchester brothers. Let’s check out some trivia and try to wrap our heads around the insane plots and twists surrounding CW’s Supernatural.
1. Jared Padalecki was wrestling around with another cast member when he dislocated his shoulder which then meant that writers had to scramble to write in why Sam (his character) would be wearing a sling in the beginning of the tenth season.
2. Misha Collins, who plays the angel Castiel, actually auditioned for the role of a demon in Supernatural. Why not for Castiel? Because at the time of his audition, angels had not been announced for the show. Well, look what happened. Even demons can become angels in the world of the Winchesters.
3. There are only three known money-making sources for the Winchester boys, since demon-slaying isn’t really a paid gig, and those include credit card fraud, poker and sharking pool houses.
4. Often, roles are written for the show after meeting actors the writers have in mind. This was definitely the case for the character of Cain who was written for Timothy Omundson.
5. The fourth episode is known as the ‘Suit Demon‘ episode as it’s when the boys started wearing suits to appear more professional and it’s subsequently our first view into demons. Sometimes lookin’ fly will bring all the baddies to the yard.
6. Supernatural is the longest running television show to have never won an Emmy. Robbed. Can we go ahead and say robbed? There’s obviously supernatural work at foot.
7. In Season Four of Supernatural, the tone of the show changed to pull angels and demons into the forefront, expressing the more detailed lore that went into Christian ideology. This is also when we get to meet Castiel, an angelic representative that helped the boys seek the demons that were challenging Heaven.
8. Fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer would be happy to know that Amber Benson, who plays Tara on the show, comes onto Supernatural as a vegan Vampire who refuses to feed on humans. Quite a switch from her witchy character in Buffy!
9. The actress that plays Mary Winchester, Sam and Dean’s Mother, is actually only nine years older than her on-screen son Jensen Ackles. Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who plays their Father, is only 12 years older than Ackles. Awkwaaaaard.
10. The characters of Alistair and Crowley are actually both named after famous occultist Aleister Crowley. I mean, it’s quite obvious but go figure a show about the Occult is going to pull from some infamous sources. We love those winks to the audience.